Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Tips on How to Start a Journal

Why Should You Start a Journal?
We all have a multitude of thoughts and feelings that we need to express. Writing them down helps me to process my thoughts. What about when you have children and they want to know about your childhood or how you met your spouse? I would love to read about my parents' childhood, just to see how much I am like them. You might want to have all your memories stored up so you can remember them someday. When you look back at your journals you may laugh or even cry. Your life may seem pretty boring to you but in the future they will bring you laughter. 
What is a Journal?
The definition of a journal is "a personal record of occurrences, experiences, and reflections kept on a regular basis" The word journal comes from the French word "jour" and from the Latin word "diurnalis" which means daily. 
How Do I Start a Journal?
Find or purchase a notebook. You can decorate it anyway you want. One example might be drawing your favorite things all over the cover, like a collage. If your journal is already decorated that is great! Keep it on your desk or a table near your bed so you know where it is at all times. Pick a time of the day to write in it. I write in mine at nighttime so then I can recall the events of the day. I like to use the same pen every time I write in my journal. When starting a new entry, put the date and then the day of the week at the top of the page. I also put the time because it's just another detail that I like to remember. Then start writing about your day, you can write about who you saw that day, where you went, and what you did. The hardest part about keeping a journal is writing consistently. Make it a goal to write in your journal everyday. You could also be like Anne Frank and pretend you are writing to someone specific. She wrote "Dear Kitty," every entry on the top of the page, like she was writing a letter. Your journal is personal and limitless so make it reflect who you are. I hope you enjoy starting a journal as much as I did! 
                          Anna Banana 

No comments:

Post a Comment