Wednesday, July 22, 2015

How to Paint a Sunset on a Canvas

A couple of weeks ago I found a deal at Michael’s for large canvases. I had no idea what to paint on the,so like I looked on Pinterest, I saw this beautiful sunset painting with birds. Light Bulb! I had so much fun painting this picture, here are the steps I took to create this painting. 

1. Purchase a canvas at any art store, and if you don’t have any brushes or paints get those too. (For my pallet I just use old ice cream container lids.)

2. Set out all of your paints, brushes, pallets, cup of water, and make sure you have a surface underneath your canvas that can get messy. 

3. Squirt yellow paint on your pallet and find a medium sized paintbrush. 

4. Just for yellow, paint on your canvas a semicircle and fill it in. Don’t forget the sides!
5. Next use orange paint on the arc of the yellow semicircle, blend the colors together. ( Add water to spread out the paint, it really helps!) See picture below.
6. Repeat step 5 with red, blue, and purple paint

7. I went back and made my colors more vivid by going over the paint again and blending more and more. Example: I lost my yellow color in my painting because the orange and red took over, so I painted over it again and used a little water.

 I hope you had as much fun as I did painting! You can add more to your sunset if you would like, Grass, Birds, Trees or anything that you think would look awesome! Happy Easter! 


No comments:

Post a Comment